Saturday, August 22, 2009

Farewell but not goodbye

Watching me finish up the ends, he comments on how far it's come.

We've been through a lot together. I say, as I stroke it softly. It kept me awake in the mountains, went with me on trips to Saskatchewan. And bad times too, you know....

Are you sure you wouldn't rather keep it?

It's the prairies, the mountains.... it's important that she has it.

The changes in the tension of the stitches show what I've been through. They show the stress, the hurt, the aching of my first car accident. The parental visit three years in the making. They show the relaxation of the mountains, and road trips, as I stitched through my awe. The ease I felt as I sang along to 80s tunes on the way to Cypress Hills and Saskatoon.

The stitches have suffered and celebrated through the highs and lows of summer across the prairies. They'll provide warmth through the east coast winter. And hopefully, they'll serve as a reminder of the incredible friendship that I've been so blessed to have.

[stolen from Andrea]

5 comments:

Maggie May said...

This is so beautiful.

Mandy said...

I agree, this is incredibly beautiful.

Kyla Roma said...

Very etherial- I'm sure she will treasure it and I'm so glad you guys got to become such good friends.

Sarah said...

What an amazingly kind gesture and lovely gift! This made me tear right the heck up.
You're a wonderful person to know.

Anonymous said...

Darling.. I miss you already. Your afghan came with us. I'm afraid I'm going to be like a child, toting it around with me from city to city. Thinking of you baby-face.