Thursday, April 9, 2009

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

I'm no fashionista. Big name designers don't design for me. I do more classic styles, with some trends that I can pull off, mainly trendy colours. Don't get me wrong, I can appreciate the beauty of well-made clothes, I just can't pull a lot of it off. For this reason, I was a bit nervous when the lovely Andrea invited me to be her right-hand girl at Edmonton's Fashion Week last night.

I shouldn't have worried. For starters, a glass of red while making fun of the "model" talking herself up to a group of young 4H girls does a lot to ease the mind. Secondly, Andrea is fabulous. Finally, it wasn't really all that impressive (though I had been warned).

Some of the stuff that went down the runway was just sad. The music was strange, the girls looked uncomfortable and awkward, the clothes didn't fit, the seams buckled even though the garment wasn't too small and there were loose strings everywhere. Heidi Klum would not have approved. Since I don't subscribe to the same journalistic principles as A., I can let you tell you the good, the bad and the ugly. And oh, was it ugly.

And then there was Tressa Heckbert.

Her show was cohesive, a dash of futuristic, the clothes were well-tailored, the girls looked cool and we couldn't help but comment on the shininess of their hair. Little details made us squeal in delight. The show had been thoroughly thought through and it showed. Not a rogue thread in sight. No "dog fur" poufs chasing the girls down the runway. Everything about Tressa's show was fabulous. It was enough to make us actually want to go to St. Albert.

For more, check out Andrea's take on the show here.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Have a fabulous time in S'toon doll.. Thanks again for your company my dear. You're the best.