Wednesday, July 15, 2009

On my Albertaversary

[flickr]

Approximately two and a half years ago, I told my "from there to here" story. I read it again on Sunday, my three year Albertaversary.

As I'm packing up all the things I've accumulated over the past three years, it's strange to be transported back to the days where my sole piece of furniture was my bed. As I look forward to my "Kentucky Derby"-style birthday extravaganza (hats and horses! gambling!), it's hard to remember the tears on my twenty-second birthday when I had no one. Moving out here was a big shock to almost everyone who knew me -- except maybe my Daddy, who had been telling everyone for months that I was going to take the plunge. I had never been a risk taker, so it was a big deal for me to move across the country on a whim, with the promise of a writing test for a job... not even an interview. I had a feeling.

With my university and high school friends spread across Ontario, and North America, it wasn't too hard for me to pack up and head somewhere by myself. It made sense to go where the jobs were. And the jobs weren't in Ontario, not for public relations anyway. It was empowering to come out here and be handed jobs, my experience lauded rather than being dismissed by the Toronto PR crew.

It was exciting to have the roomie join me a month later, even though I had only known her for a couple months. It was fun to have someone to explore with, to get lost with, to find new hot spots and have new adventures. Though we've had our ups and downs, it was necessary that I had her to get me through the homesick days and help me celebrate small victories.

I've made a life out here. Originally the plan was to come for a couple years, lap up all the experience I could, and return to Ontario. Last weekend my parents said, not even really a question, You're not moving back, are you? And I don't think I am. There's too much for me here. I've made a good group of friends, I've found the Boy, I'm starting my Masters. I've got an incredible boss, the best mentor I could ask for, and fabulous co-workers. I'm involved in things I'm passionate about, even though they stress me out sometimes. I managed to get together a motley crew of friends and acquaintances to raise over $5,000 for cancer research this year alone. If the right opportunity came along, who knows? But I'm happy here.

This weekend, as I move away from the downtown core (sob!), I'll begin a new adventure. It will be me and the Boy (and for a couple months, Kitty), 24-7. It will be less walks across the river to Whyte Avenue and a new section of the river valley to explore. It will be deliberate girl-dates with the roomie, rather than merely running into each other at the apartment. It will be a twice-daily trip on the LRT, instead of a six-block walk to work. It will be study time and essays instead of nightly walks to Starbucks. It's wondering how I'm ever going to get my Christmas shopping done when I'll be with the Boy all the time, and when I'll only be in this city for two weeks between mid-November and Christmas. It's erasing all traces of my old address and home phone. It's separating three years of accumulated furniture, dishes, and decorations. It's removing the skeleton from our front door who's changed to suit the seasons since the Halloween party we had where I first made out with the Boy nearly two years ago. It's moving out, without moving on.

And I couldn't be more excited.

7 comments:

Sarah said...

I'm excited for you!!! And what a brave thing you did. Taking off by yourself to find your own place in the world.
This was a really lovely post.

Leah said...

Big Life Changes! And great ones too. I love how you said "I've made a life out here" because it is so true. I am kind of on the same path as you, I moved to Calgary year ago, and it isn't easy to make a life for yourself! It isn't easy, but it can be fun and challenging and can help you to grow as a person.

Bravo, girl! I feel that I should do kind of a similar post, on my one year Calgiversary.

Laurie/MobileMommy said...

That's a pretty amazing thing - to have left everything you knew and moved here - weren't you luck Alberta is so awesome though?!! Your next new adventure will probably be even better - enjoy the changes, it's an exciting time!

Amanda K said...

Happy Albertaversary to you!

I always find it amazing when people venture off out of their comfort zone and start new journey in life! Very inspirational!!

Dionne said...

It sounds awesome, a new adventure! I am glad you are loving it there, it sounds like you've made a place for yourself there. Good for you!

And in response to your q on my blog - no mini cupcake pans needed. I just used 2 cupcake paper cups instead of one, to make sure that all the batter stayed in without spilling out. I just put them all on a normal tray, and they turned out fab!

Kyla Roma said...

I love that you have an Albertaversary- so cute, and I want to say, congratulations on this next move. I'm so excited for you, and for the boy, and for everywhere this will take you.

I'm so glad you've found a place you want to call home. I'm so glad you feel at home. <3

Maggie May said...

adventures are wonderful! you have a lovely spirit.