Wednesday, June 11, 2008

To my tough little princess...


If anyone would have told me during our normal-kind-of-tumultuous childhood (wherein fights were had over inane things, competition for sibling alliances were a common occurance) that we would have the relationship we have now... I would have probably given a slack-jawed, "uh huh, what-ever".

I'll admit it, I was jealous of you. Pretty little perfection, blue-eyed blonde who could do no wrong. The baby. Roll my eyes while you tell on me (and everyone) for looking at you. Breathing. Doing absolutely nothing at all.

It's taken years to realize that we have something special. That even if you weren't my little pain-in-the-butt sister, you'd still be my friend (hopefully I'd have the chance to know you). So mature and grown up for your age. I value your wisdom, your bright mind, your insight on life.

Things are rough right now. I know how that goes. It's hard in the summer when you're working and taking courses and not having much of a summer at all. I've been there. And I just want to say to hold your chin up, baby. You are a tough little munchkin.

Remember that time when we were uber-young that Kik was taunting you and you up and punched her in the nose? Totally unexpected. The baby showing the older aggressor that she wasn't to be messed with. From that day on, you've had this "Whatcha gonna do about it?" kind of attitude. Don't lose it now.

It's a long, hard fight. But I'm here with you every step of the way. You have to learn your own lessons, make your own mistakes... just like we all do. And I can't protect you from the world like I want to, and it's a good thing I can't. You will succeed, baby. You'll show them.

And I will be there when you cross the finish line. Stay strong little one. xo

No comments: