Wednesday, June 11, 2008

P.Mans got me thinking...

With some of my old UWO buddies convocating this week (and the fabulousness of speeches/mp3s being available online)... I got to remembering my own convocation.

First convocation (Political Science, 2005): Marc Lalonde
Download or play the mp3 file.

The Honourable Marc Lalonde has served as a lawyer, Principal Secretary to a Prime Minister, and as Minister of Health and Welfare, Minister Responsible for the Status of Women, Amateur Sport, Federal-Provincial Relations, Justice, Energy, Mines and Resources, and Finance. As Minister of Health and Welfare, he co-authored "A New Perspective on the Health of Canadians", a document recognized internationally as a masterpiece in health care policy and internationally acclaimed for its radical departure from traditional policies. Lalonde is the recipient of many awards and distinctions including Officer of the Order of Canada and The World Health Organization Medal.

Second convocation (Public Relations, 2006): Louise Pitre
Download or play the mp3 file.

Pitre is a Canadian singer and actor, a Western alumna who has received rave reviews for her performances in musicals such as Mamma Mia! and Piaf in Toronto and on Broadway.

Her speech is marvelous. I highly suggest listening to it.
You have to earn your cocktails, folks!

My buddy Rob asked me what convocation is like. I said, "It's like Harry Potter". Seriously. He doesn't get it. I told him to get back to me after his ceremony tomorrow. The robes, the processional... it's insanity. Ha.

No comments: