Monday, June 2, 2008

The best part of Kanye West... any part without Kanye West

A friend and I went to the Kanye West concert on Thursday night. I was not in a good mood.

Work had been a gong show all week (this is the week of insanity), and I had been working on stuff at my desk until 6 p.m. Essentially the last minute where I could rush my butt home, get changed and get to the show. Still a little late.

Overcrowded by teeny-boppers and glow sticks. Girls in weird/skanky clothing. A lot of people not being able to find their seats due to their own stupidity. All of this was oddly amusing. I was friendly and helpful (shocking I know) when the girls behind us were rudely interupted (and kind of yelled at) by drunk dancing chick and her boyfriend who were convinced that they were sitting in their seats (to make a long story short, nice girls were in the right place, DDC and BF's seats were WAY.OVER.THERE. (to quote the ticket-checker girl).

Lupe Fiasco was fun. NERD was what I imagine a seizure on acid would be like (without ever experiencing either a seizure or acid personally). Anything with two drum kits and a drum-off is a helluva good time. Pharrell is amazing. They got girls on stage dancing with them (even though most girls on stage looked so lame and weren't dancing, having fun, grinding back with Pharrell when he was trying to flirt with them).

Rhianna. Rhianna at times looked like she had too much of a dynasty/80's futuristic/Madonna (cone bra, not modern Madonna) influence. But whatever. You're a performer, go for it. She sort of did a medley of her most popular songs rather than singing each song individually... which made all the awesomeness seem quite short. But she didn't have a lot of stage time I guess. At least she left 'em wanting more.

Nearly an hour after Rhianna left the stage, Kanye came on. He had this crazy set involving him on some spaceship, a talking giant computer. It was interesting. Then, 10 minutes of crazy intro in... there was about 30 seconds of "harder, better, stronger, faster". Everyone baited for the song, ready for the hook to come.... and he lost it. He "sang" about 4-6 songs (hard to remember because each one sounded EXACTLY THE SAME even though at one point I turned to my girl and said, "weren't those the words to Gold digger?" "I don't know," she said. "I can't make out what he's saying at all." We were ready to leave. Then he started talking to the computer saying it's been a long time and he missed Earth and women. He talked about how he really needed some pussy. This made me cringe. He played golddigger (the p-word was his intro) and then played Jesus Walks. I have zero respect for someone who is so demoralizing one second and is all sorta-preachy the next. Gross. We left shortly after that.

Left for a couple hours of sleep and a mad-dash packing job before Vancouver.

No comments: