Monday, August 13, 2007

Wine at 10 a.m.? Yes, please!

In the midst of slaving away this morning, I dug into my purse for lip gloss and pulled out a bottle opener (left over from Saturday night). *sigh* Too early in the day for that I'm afraid.

I'm currently reading Chuck Klosterman's "Sex, Drugs and Cocoa Puffs" and find myself literally laughing out loud as I go over his words. Hilarious. And yet he also caters to my cynical side.

In the first chapter, Klosterman talks about "fake love". He surmises that no woman will ever be able to completely satisfy him, just as he will never be able to fully satisfy any woman, because both parties will measure the relationship against the prospect of fake love. The man has a point.

We're given chick flicks and sappy love songs and fairy tales and Harlequin romance novels... and the other sex is supposed to compete with that? Maybe this is the real reason why girls fall for jerks. Because we can maintain the flicker of hope that these guys will get better and that happily ever after will exist whereas with "nice guys" what you see is what you get. You get into a relationship with a guy who is already compassionate and romantic and nice and that's as good as it's going to get. And too often, it's not good enough. It just doesn't measure up to the concept of love we've dream of since we were little girls and so we throw it back and try to catch something new. Someone new. And then we wonder why we can't find anyone "good enough".

Ridiculous, let me tell you.

No comments: