Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Combating the winter blahs

As I mentioned in my last post, I was a disaster last week. I was stressed out and cried a lot and surprisingly, but coming to work on Friday actually made me feel better. I share an office with a girl who I absolutely love. She may have started out as a coworker, but she's become a real outside-of-work friend.

We've recently made our office a bit more homey and colourful. Our whole office, from the walls to the cabinets, is this terrible boring beige.
We hung silver and red balls of various shapes from the ceiling with various lenths of ribbon. Then we realized that from this one ball in the centre, we can see our whole office! People comment how it finally looks like Christmas in here, but we needed colour. And we'll add more colours as we come across them.

On Thursday, we were having a crap day at work. We went to the grocery store at lunch and purchased fancy cheese and crackers (best work pick-me-up ever) and this $2 pot of tulips. They're now three times the size they were on Thursday and they've bloomed -- it's crazy. We have many plants in our office but they're all just green; it's fun to have some flowers.

Our boss was off on stress leave for a little bit, and my darling office mate asked her if she was happy to be back the other day. Boss thought for a second, closed our door behind her, and said, "Truthfully, I didn't want to come back, but I've missed you guys so much! I almost emailed you on Christmas..." It's how I feel somedays. I love my job, but even on days I don't, I work with such incredible, happy, inspiring people that I still enjoy coming here.

6 comments:

Mandy said...

I love that you decorated your office! Doesn't it make such a world of difference. Mine is all gray, I've added lots of color in various ways. Working with people you like makes such a huge difference, I wish I had wonderful co-workers.

Emily Jane said...

Oh gosh, can I be your officemate too?? It sounds like such a wonderful place to work!

I moved offices earlier in the year and now I share with two amazing ladies who watch X Factor with me at lunch, motivate me to keep my new year's resolutions, make crafts with me and decorate with greenery too - having great coworkers can make all the difference!

Ooh ooh!! And I got your little postcard in the mail yesterday!! Thank you for bringing a big smile to my face :)

Leah said...

Fancy cheese and crackers and flowers as an office blah day pick me up? I wish I worked with you!

That's cute about your boss too - you must be a really great person!

Anonymous said...

Wow the people you work with sound amazing! I have to tell you, my office is the exact opposite. It's like they've picked every dramatic extrovert in the world and put them all in a room with a cake, red lipstick, a fat kid and some balloons. They'd tear it all to shreds, then laugh about it later on. I literally try not to talk to people at work because they annoy me so much. People think I'm the office grinch, but outside of work I'm a nice person! I promise!

Anonymous said...

Oh wow - you probably realize how lucky you are to have such lovely people to work with. :) I get on well enough with the two ladies I share an office with but i'd be lying if I said they didn't annoy the heck out of me from time to time.

Kyla Roma said...

This sounds like so much fun, and I love that I can see you in the ornament! *waves*

Hope this makes your days cheerier!